R.I.P: Boxer Omar Henry Dies at 25
Boxer Omar Henry and undisputed super welterweight champion, at 25 today in a Chicago hospital following a short fight with gall bladder cancer.
Omar had been hospitalized for the last 3 months.
“O Henry” had signed a lucrative deal with Don King (boxing promoter) Productions. He was 12-0 and 9 of those wins were first round knockouts. He was hired as Floyd Mayweather’s sparring partner during Floyd’s training to fight Miguel Cotto, but turned it down to finish college.
He posted a a few tear jerking posts on his Facebook fan page in which he pleaded for prayers and support.
I got exactly less than 1 month left until my 26th birthday February 8. Hopefully I live to see it. I really have been getting a lot of support with kind words and prayers from all over the world with this battle with cancer. Thank you and I will continue to fight for us!!!!
Sigh….didn’t that just mess with your emotions like crazy?
Here is another post:
To all my friends and loyal fans I want to inform you all that I am fighting the fight of my life against a disease known as gallbladder cancer. While lm in this current state I am fighting with my family by my side and I will not go down for the count. I am a champion who has chosen to fight not just for myself but for those who’s faith is believing in what u cant see, and i will continue to fight!!!!!and fight!!!!!and fight!!!!!till I knock this sickness out. Your love and support mean the most to me, your prayers are prayers not only to me but to others like me. Please be advised l am grateful for any and all support in any kind of way please inbox me. My family has continued to be by my side, and its hard for them as well. I want to thank God for unconditional love and unconditional fans.
Prior to his death he had an interview where he spoke about his fight outside of the ring:
As of right now, I got a lot of mixed feelings. Overall, I feel blessed. I’m living right now, but I’ve been taking it one day at a time because it makes my head hurt and body ache thinking too far ahead.
I will find out tomorrow if I’m free of cancer or if I won’t be here to see 2013. That’s what they told me. Life and death has never come so close, especially since I was so close to the top and being close to the top of my career. I was about to headline Showtime at 25 years old, in the prime of my career. Now, I could literally be dead tomorrow, and this is the scariest thing I can think of. God has a purpose and we can’t question God.
He seemed like a really nice guy. It’s totally crazy to see someone with such a promising career and all around cool spirit have his life cut so short. Yet we are left with these losers who wreck havoc on communities and are walking around in great health. WTF right?
Why the fux can’t cancer kill it’s damn self?
Rest in Paradise Omar!!!
- WTH? “Charles Ramsey Burger Bash” Video Game Hits the Net; Ramsey Calls it TRASH + Press Release
- Techie Whispers: Jennifer Lopez to Open Chain of Mobile Phone Stores
- Sports Whispers: 2012-13 All NBA Teams Named
- New Video Whispers: T.I. ft Cee Lo Green – “Hello”
- New Gig Whispers: Russell Simmons Inks Plush Deal with HBO
- Local Eateries Give Charles Ramsey Free Burgers for Life + “Ramsey Burger” Named
- Legal Whispers: Sugar Hill Records Founders sentenced in Tax Evasion Case
- Good Deeds: Tyler Perry Donates $100,000 to Ohio School District
- Funk Icon, George Clinton Ordered to Turn Over Rights to 4 CLASSIC Songs; Starts #SavetheFunk Movement
- Flashback Friday: Guy – “Lets Chill” + “Fantasy” + “Groove Me” + “Piece of My Love” (Live 2012) + “I Like”